Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Continent Divide Trail--YoYO


By Janet Reese
Francis Tapon, 37, will be "yo-yoing" the 3,100-mile Continental Divide Trail this year, hiking it twice in one season, making a round trip. He started April 7 and plans to finish before Thanksgiving. Writer Janet Reese caught up with him by phone last month.
1 Why are you yo-yoing the CDT?
To be the first one to do it. When I breathe my last breaths, I want to conclude that I lived a life that was fun and fascinating.
I also want to increase awareness of the CDT and raise money for its completion. As I hike and pass through towns, I tell people about what I’m doing. I have a website (CDTyoyo.com) and an e-newsletter that people check for updates.
2 What are your greatest challenges?
Navigation on the CDT is tricky, even with no snow. The trail is not well defined in many parts. In the San Juans, I stepped on a piece of wood, a buried CDT sign that I could barely see. I use a map and compass to find my way. It’s frustrating when you come to junctions with splits and there’s no sign to tell you which way to go.
3 What is your experience hiking through the CDT’s Colorado segment?
The scenery is amazingly beautiful. The hike is rough. I hiked from Cumbres Pass in the San Juan Mountains on May 3 and then within one hour, I threw up. I’m not sure if it was the altitude or food poisoning. That day, I vomited seven times. Then a foot of snow dumped on my tarp. The next day I endured a windy snowstorm.
Walking through deep snow 15 hours a day is tedious. On a normal trail, I walk three miles per hour; in the snow, it’s more like one and a half. On a typical day, I carry 20 pounds.
4 How do you manage the logistics such as gear, food and communication?
My mother sends food and supplies to mail drops that I visit along the way. I buy supplies at bigger mountain towns. I usually carry enough food for four days, but sometimes up to six. I use pay phones and libraries for Internet access.
5 On your previous long-distance hikes, you had partners. What’s it like hiking the CDT solo?
I feel more vulnerable. . . . I plan to hook up with some friends along the way and will see other CDT hikers this summer. Navigating Colorado’s terrain is a full-time job and my mind is constantly challenged.

No comments: