Thursday, June 21, 2007

Continental Divide Trail--Route Options


The CDT (Continental Divide National Scenic Trail) is currently very fluid. The constant volunteer work being done to complete the trail will eventually make it easier to follow but it will still remain a trail with many route options. It is the King of Trails for many reasons but one would be the fact that it intersects so many National Forests, Wilderness Areas and Federal Parklands. When I hiked the trail in 1999 there was little routing information available, yet I found the challenge of working my way north not all that difficult. Admittedly I was lost a lot, but that is not always a bad thing. If you have the time to do this long trail, part of the adventure will be setting yourself completely free to find your way in some of the world’s premiere and rare protected land. I am already planning a second hike along the CDT and have done many sections that I think I can make much more interesting. It is very possible to do the CDT and the GDT in one season if you can do long miles everyday and spend less time route finding. With the information available today on the route, and the much improved trail developed over the past decade the CDT/GDT is shaping up to be the true King of Trails.

No comments: